A map drawn in 1725 shows the shape of a land that remained virtually unchanged until the middle of the 20th century. By now, Wallshut Wood and the Stoke Park woods have receded. Wallshut Wood was contained by brooks on three sides. The courses of these brooks have since been altered so it is difficult to use them as a way of identifying where this wood once stood. It had now shrunk to approximately 22 acres.
But Splatts Abbey Wood is now evident. It is called ‘Plats Wood’ and the field adjoining it is ‘Plats Patch’. A tiny area, known as ‘Plats Paddock’ lies at the wood’s eastern corner. ‘Plat’ is a mediaeval word with the same meaning as ‘Splatt’.
It is interesting to note that the wood and adjoining field are much smaller than the fields that surround them. The latter tend to average at 10 acres, whilst the wood is about 4 acres and the field is 3 acres in area. Perhaps Plats Patch was carved from the wood. Or perhaps the different shape of the fields provides evidence that it was once owned by the Abbey rather than the manor.
The Gaynor’s were an influential Quaker family who lived in Filton. During the 18th century, Martha Gaynor married John Baker. At first, they lived at Conygre Farm, the old manor house in Filton but later they moved to Stanley Farm.
In 1768, Norborne Berkely died without an heir. Therefore, the parish of Stoke Gifford passed to his sister, the Duchess of Beaufort. It remained with the Beauforts until the 20th century.